Auditing Permission Changes
Question: Can you audit permission changes in a site collection?
Answer: This is possible, but by default security changes are not audited. To enable auditing:
- Select Site Actions + Site Settings + Modify All Site Settings at the site collection root site.
- Click the Site collection audit settings link.
- Select the Editing users and permissions option:
Once turned on, changes to permissions on sites, lists and items will be audited. To view the audit log:
- Click the Audit log reports link on the “Site Settings” page for the site collection.
- Click the Security Settings link:
This will open the audit log in an Excel spreadsheet. The following example shows a summary showing a single security change resulting from a breaking of permission inheritance:
More detailed information is available in the “Report Data” sheet in the Excel workbook.