Changing Page Used to Display Items in a List
When displaying a view on a list (such as displayed with “AllItems.aspx”) the “Title” hyperlink for an item will redirect you, by default, to the “DispForm.aspx” page with the ID passed as a query parameter.
There are times when you may need to change the page used in the link, for example:
- When you have your own custom page for displaying an item.
- You want the take the user directly to editing an item rather than displaying an item.
The default page can be changed using SharePoint designer. To do this:
- Run SharePoint Designer and open up the site in which the list resides.
- Right click the list and select Properties.
- Select the Supporting Files tab.
- Ensure to select the correct “Content Type”, e.g. “Items” – note that in the above case it defaults to “Folder”.
From this dialog, you can use the appropriate Browse button to select the file to use for the “Display”, “New” or “Edit” operation.
NOTE: The URL shown in the browser (see first figure) will still show “DispForm.aspx” but clicking the link for an item will navigate correctly to the page you select.